Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Week Eight

This week has simply been the best. We watched Run Lola, Run and that is one of my most favorite movies. It’s one of those movies that doesn’t always come to mind when you’re listing off favorites. And, then, you remember it, and watch it again, and it’s still has that fresh feeling when you see it. I suppose I enjoyed it that much more this time because I have recently realized how good Moritz Bleibteu is. I saw Im Juli for the first time, earlier this quarter. Enough said. The great thing about Run Lola, Run is that it’s all about the editing. It’s the editing, matched with the techno music that makes it as good as it is. I love the rhythm that it gives it. And, the red motif. It really gives Lola this source of power and defiance and the red ties the whole film together. And, although, we discussed in class that the film has sort of a masculine fantasy to it, I think it’s quite powerful as a feminist piece as well. The girl is running across a whole city, in combat boots. That shows some strength. And, in this film, anything can happen. It’s “ a film of consequences.” It’s three stories, with three endings. And, it all ties together.

With our film, after so much evolution, is now four stories that will supposedly tie all together. And, I think I’m not the only one who is nervous as to how it will tie all together. I’ve changed my part even more, but in the direction to something more concrete. But, even still, I’m still not clear on everything. I know, for sure, I’m dealing with writing and memory. I realized that the other day, when I sat down after class and did a two-hour free write, trying to figure out what the hell I was doing. And, I found myself writing all of a sudden, “Writing, I suppose, is my way of remembering. And, whether fictional or not, there is always a piece of reality and of myself in the stories I tell." And, I think that is completely true for any writer. But, it made me realize, I just want to tell a story. And, I have no idea how else to convey my experience here other than telling a story. So, maybe, that’s what I need to do. I need to talk this out more.
Speaking of which, we also had quite the intense discussion in Friday’s workshop, which consisted of major miscommunication problems and dispute over equipment. I suppose it comes with the territory when the group completely changes the project and makes it more of many individual projects that will somehow be put together. Sometimes, I think of how much easier it would be if it stayed more of a group film. I guess it will feel more like that when editing starts.

No comments: