Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Week Six

This week, we watched Wings of Desire. Being in Cinema Studies, I have watched and discussed this film a few times. And, every time I seem to have a similar reaction. There is no doubt that this is a great piece of cinema. But, there is also no doubting the pretentiousness it can have. When I watch it, there are parts where I get so lost in the “deeper cinematic elements” in all the wrong ways—in the falling asleep way. And, there are parts of it (such as one of the last scenes where the angel is swinging Marion around on the trapeze) that I just have to hold back from laughing because it gives off this sense that it needs to be taken really seriously. But, then, when it’s finished and I actually go to talk about it, I somehow walk away saying what a great film it is. And, I’ve come to the conclusion it’s all in the cinematic elements.
On the contrary, the readings seemed to have a lot of problems with it, especially Hooks. Personally, I think she had some pretty radical views. While I can see how the film could be problematic in regards to gender and race issues, I think that is not the film’s intention. In class, we had a debate over the reading, and I agree that the film had a more universal take on things, rather than excluding races and shuffling in stereotypical gender roles. I think that such analytical problems occur subconsciously in the film and occur because of the type of world Germany happens to be. It has not yet become a place that is sensitive to such things. Another thing that needed to be taken into account by an American critic is the title of the film. The American title, “Wings of Desire,” connoted a much different meaning than the original, German title, “Der Himmel über Berlin.” Wings of Desire, catering to a more Americanized way of thinking, encouraging an interpretation about lust and love. While, Der Himmel über Berlin (or the Heaven or Sky over Berlin) connects more with the universal way of the angels.
Wings of Desire is just one of the many films and many ways of interpreting and reacting to Berlin as a city. In my last post, I discussed my latest idea for my part of the film. After talking to Eric and Josh about it more, I feel like I have better direction for my part. Instead of using the interviews as the only outlet for what I could shoot, I’ll use it as a juxtaposition shoot. I wanted to use it as a way of contrasting what many people may think is the typical “German or Berlin experience” with what my actual experience is. And, as it turns out, it works pretty well with Josh’s idea too. I want to slant my experience with the creative energy I’ve found here and my evolving identity as a writer. And Josh wants to talk about his identity as a filmmaker. The only worry I have is how all of the parts will work together. Our group seems to continue to have scheduling and communication issues, and I’m not sure how to deal with them. I suppose, we have to just keep working at it.

No comments: